If you’re a parent or ever plan to be a parent, what is your biggest dream for your kids? What aspiration is at the top when you consider their futures? Does it involve their ability in sports or academics? Is it related to their talents or social skills? Do you hope they will make a lot of money? Is it something based on your own failings?
As I’ve thought about this, I’ve come to a very strong personal conclusion. I’ve made plenty of mistakes as a parent, but there are two things about which I want my kids to be perfectly certain:
- More than anything else, I want them to live for the glory of God – fully committed to Jesus Christ.
- No matter what, I love them and treasure them with all of my heart.
You see, when it comes to these two things, I don’t want my kids to have to guess.
So to make that happen, here are a few items that I’m implementing:
- Mentioning these things in passing as we hang out and play together.
- Teaching the stories of Scripture to my kids and helping them to enjoy the Bible.
- Reinforcing these things when we pray together.
- Talking about these things in more detail when I can tell that their hearts are open and attentive.